Tuesday, February 7, 2012

15 Minute Challenge

I am hooking up with Kate this week .  Her challenge to us is to spend 15 minutes a day sewing.  This is going to make me really start to write things down.  You know, like that food diary that never gets beyond the 1st day and one half  at least this diary won't make me feel so guilty.

Okay - the truth is that I haven't spent 15 minutes a day sewing but I did spent three hours on Sunday sewing.  I finished the inside panel of my Christmas Tree quilt


and cut out three wonky star blocks  for a swap, bought material for the February block of Sew Red for Women Blog Hop from Burgundy Buttons and thought about making a baby quilt for a co-worker's daughter.'

Baby Quilts used to bring me great joy to make but now that new mothers are told NO blankets it seems futile.  Any thoughts on this one?? Do we keep making baby blankets because it makes us feel good to give a gift made with love or do we give in because the gift may never be used?  Are we supposed to worry how or if a gift will be used?   Now I have gone and given myself a headache.  I think I will go eat some sugar and not write it down.

Ta for now

10 comments:

  1. I'm totally confused. No blankets? Lately I've only made quilts for my grandchildren. I know they get used. I'd be disappointed if they didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Doctors (here anyway) tell the new parents - no blankets, loose clothing and the baby must sleep on its back. This is to help prevent SIDS.

      Delete
  2. One good afternoon of sewing works, some weeks that's all I get.

    I always used quilt to cover the floor when my girl was little. So even if they can't sleep with it they can play on it (and with it).

    Thanks for joining in this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as they get used - bed covers or play mats. My DgD is actually using hers now when she plays.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the info on the blankets .. I'll probably keep on making them. Well maybe I'll just make lap quilts for the moms .. The Christmas Tree quilt is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it will be the biggest one I have made in a while.

      Delete
  4. I hadn't heard that new mothers were being told no blankets so Im going to keep making them. I love to give gifts made from the heart and every baby should have something special.

    Great progress on your Christmas quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Shay. So I am going to keep making baby quilts and even if they don't make it on the bed they could be used as a carriage blanket, play mat etc.

      Delete
  5. hhmmm . . . i wasn't aware of the no blankets thing. i think there are many other times when a blanket/quilt is used and/or needed so they still remain a great gift.

    you actually spent quite a bit of time getting things done even without getting the 15 daily minutes in there.

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Libby. You ladies have booted me out of my funk. Tonight willl find me looking thru patterns for some inspiration.

      Delete

Background and banner by Natalie